Saturday, 1 August 2015

Treat Petite August

Welcome to Treat Petite August!

If you haven't checked out July's Round Up over on Cakeyboi yet, please have a look. The theme was Summertime Special and there were some superb summery entries.

This month's theme is... 'The Great British Bake Off'. My favourite show is back this week and so this month we're looking for anything that has been made by the contestants on GBBO before, of course for any larger bakes they must receive the 'Treat Petite treatment'! If you're stuck for ideas check out my GBBO Challenge pages where I've made things off the show for the past 3 years.

Treat Petite is for all of those delicious bites, which can be individually portioned. Tray bakes are fine, cookies, cupcakes, brownies, macarons and so on. No cakes, puddings, whole loaves – you get the idea…here are those all-important rules:

1. Add your petite treat to the Linky Tool at the bottom of the current month's post by the 25th of the month, midnight at the latest

2. Post your bake onto your blog and link back to Cakeyboi and The Baking Explorer, stating who is hosting this month

3. Follow Cakeyboi and The Baking Explorer blogs on Google+ (see sidebar links), if you haven't already.

4. If you tweet use #treatpetite and mention @MrCakeyboi and @BakingExplorer - we will retweet

5. Add the challenge logo to the post and 'Treat Petite' as a label to the post

6. Use any recipe as long as the source is noted

7. If you like, add your photo to the 'Treat Petite' Pinterest board (request access from Cakeyboi)

8. Feel free to enter old posts as long as you update the post and meet all the requirements above!

Sunday, 26 July 2015

Popcorn Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Buttercream

I've been really busy this month, which is why my blog has been a bit quieter than usual. Last night I had a party for my 30th birthday (the actual day is on Thursday), and these cupcakes were such a hit I had to share the recipe!

For the party I also made two Chocolate Guinness Cakes with Baileys Buttercream (my absolute favourite!), some Pepperoni Pizza Muffins - I also did a veggie friendly version using Quorn 'ham' - and some Rocky Road.

To make the cupcakes I made a simple vanilla sponge. I creamed together 240g butter and 240g caster sugar. I added four eggs, one at a time, mixing between each addition. Followed by 2 tsp vanilla extract. Finally I stirred in 240g self raising flour.

I put the cupcake batter into 15 purple cases (my favourite colour!) and baked them for 20 minutes on 180C/375F/Gas Mark 4.

I left the cupcakes to cool and made the buttercream by mixing together 200g butter, 400g sifted icing sugar, 1 1/2 tsp of Dr Oetker Caramel flavour, and 1/2 tsp salt.

I used a piping bag and nozzle to swirl the buttercream onto each cake.

I got a bag of toffee popcorn and stuck it all over the buttercream. Finally I sprinkled some gold edible glitter all over! They looked really attractive and were the first item on the cake buffet to disappear fast. I'd only decided to make them at the last minute, so I'm glad I did.

Wednesday, 8 July 2015

Apricot Swirl Cheesecake Squares

I am constantly looking for ways to use up ingredients as I really hate wasting food. Apricot jam is one of those things I use in very small quantities when baking, usually for glazing or sticking fondant to sponge, but I always have to buy a whole jar. This recipe is a great way to use up about 3/4 of a jar of apricot (or any other flavour) jam!

To make the base I used a food processor to make fine crumbs out of 225g digestive biscuits. You could also smash them with a rolling pin. I added 85g melted butter to the biscuit crumbs and mixed well. I pressed the mixture into a lined baking pan. I baked the base on 180C/375F/Gas Mark 4 for 10 minutes.

To make the filling I whisked together 455g cream cheese and 115g sour cream until smooth. I whisked in 100g caster sugar, 2 eggs, 1 tsp vanilla and a pinch of salt.

I poured the filling over the base, and then added blobs of 3/4 jar of apricot jam all over. I used a knife to swirl it around until a pretty pattern formed.

I baked the cheesecake on 180C/375F/Gas Mark 4 for 30 minutes until it had set fully and only had a slight wobble. Once fully cool, I cut it into squares.

Gosh this was so delicious! Everything came together really well, the crust and the filling were both really yummy and well balanced. I was really pleased. My boyfriend loved it as did my colleagues and friends. This is such a fantastic and delicious recipe for using up jam I will definitely be making it again!

I am entering this into July's Credit Crunch Munch, hosted by Fab Food 4 All and Fuss Free Flavours, as I used up leftover jam for this recipe.

I am also entering into the No Waste Food Challenge, hosted by Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary, for the same reason.

Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart.